How To Choose Silverware? – Buying Guide
In horror movies, silverwares are our best weapon against vampires, witches, and werewolves. They may have been more popular because of those movies, but they are undeniably classy looking at home. But we are not here to frighten you or give you a sleepless night. Because in this article, we will give you tips on how to choose silverware.
Different Types of Silverware
When you are in a fine dining restaurant or invited to a formal dinner, you will notice the laid silverware on both sides of your plate. Many people are confused about which should be used. But one thing is sure, they are intimidating for first-time users and look very sophisticated on the table. So, before we tell you what to look for in silverware, allow us to introduce the different types of silverware to you.
- Tablespoon- this is what you will use when the main course is served.
- Dinner fork- this is the type of fork that you will use when the main course is served.
- Dessert fork – this is the smallest fork and has three-pointers.
- Dessert spoon- this is used when eating pudding, cake, or other soft desserts.
- Salad fork – these are longer than the dinner fork and are meant to be used when a salad is served on your plate.
- Table knife – this will help you cut meat and other solid food.
- Butter knife – this is the knife that you will use when buttering your bread. It is not sharp, but it’s perfect for spreading butter, jam, or other fillings.
- Steak knife – from its name, you know what it is used for. But commonly it has a wooden handle to resist heat.
- Soup Spoon- these have wider and bigger head compared to other spoons to help you scoop the soup
- Teaspoon - this is perfect to use when stirring hot drinks, ice cream, or dessert.
So how to choose silverware? Learn how below.
Check the Label
The first step on how to choose silverware is to check the label. The label will help you determine the level of shine and material used in the silverware. Chromium and nickel are the commonly used combination in making silverware. So, if you see labels like 18/0, 18/18, or 18/10, these are the fraction of the two materials. The left side stands for the chromium and the right side is the nickel. Between these three labels, your best choice is the 18/10. This will give you shiny and sturdy silverware.
Decide What You Are Looking For
No matter how sturdy and shiny is the silverware you get, you will still look for the design that you want. Surf on the internet to help you find the design that you want. You can also have it custom-made if you want to have a unique set. That would be expensive. But what is money if you can get what you want, right?
Silverwares may have been more popular because of the horror stories or movies but they are perfect tools in the kitchen. When we set the table, they add an expensive vibe and sophistication. And now that you learned how to choose silverware, you are far from being deceived by false advertisement! Make your dining experience with your loved ones by putting up the best silverware.